Tuesday, November 23, 2010

-valis Pick of the Week



I've had this (brilliant) CD for a while now and can't get it out of my head, nor my Sennheisers! Many of you who've followed this blog for any length of time will know of Zombies of the Stratosphere from their inclusion on Vol. II of the Trip Inside This House Summer Solstice compilation, the fantastic "Blue To Black." Their new release, Ordinary People, has been getting great reviews, and well it should, too. It is, to these ears, an Odessey & Oracle-meets-Village Green Preservation Society slice of the mushroom. Just enough muscle to please the power poppers, just enough efx to sate the psych' poppers, all with an indole poets' ear for the craft of writing.




As I told listeners on my show this morning: I've been reading Musicophilia, by Oliver Sacks, this past weekend; the chapter on "Brainworms" (his term for the more widely known "earworm") might as well have a footnote stating: "Brainworm: hear "Peter Stokes" by Zombies of the Stratosphere.) My opinion.

I recommend. Get it at CDbaby, Not Lame, or eMusic. Thank 'em later.

1 comment:

DaveCromwell said...

Finally getting a chance to give this a listen - glad I did.

I'm diggin' the mellow head trip.