Friday, September 02, 2011
Hail Voyagers! As we head into this last holiday weekend of Summer, 2011, (here in the U.S.,) I'm delighted to bring you a further look into the mind of a band we've highlighted previously, via the Pick of the Week.
As noted then, they hail from Toronto, Canada, and have brought forth a rather stunning debut of much merit. I'm still attached to "Varanasi Sleigh Ride," "Persona," and "Down On The River End." You can hear the latter track here.
Today we welcome Max, of Eastern Magnetics!
On with the show!
1. In ten words-or less, define "psychedelic music."
Seismic. No notes, just colours. No rules. Volume.
2. What is the most psychedelic instrument, why?
The Sitar. The original drone. One instrument, many layers of sound. I play this strange Italian 12 string from the 60's that drones like a sitar when the volume is up.
3. Favorite psychedelic album of all time?
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
4. What was the first song you remember listening to in an 'altered' state?
Not sure. My last (recently) was "Gin Joint" the Boston Crabs version.
5. What song or album that wouldn't fall into the classic "psych" definition is, nevertheless, psychedelic to you?
Arvo Part: Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten.
I had a job as a night cleaner at a pharmaceutical factory. A massive space filled with all the powders and chemicals that make pills. The sound was good because it had really high ceilings. I heard Arvo Part on the radio while I was cleaning the floor one night and that experience changed how I hear music and sound.
6. Favorite book(s) or movie(s) you consider psychedelic?
Books: The Master and Margarita, The Hawkline Monster
Movies: Zabriskie Point (in particular the final scene) using detonation as an art form.
7. Name some of your favorite psychedelic bands working right now:
The Black Angels "Directions to see a ghost"
The Flaming Lips "See The Leaves" on David Letterman
9. Top Ten Psychedelic Songs?
For this week:
Arthur Brown -Time/Confusion
Alexander "Skip" Spence - War In Peace
John's Children - Midsummer's Night Scene
Locomotive - Mr. Armageddon
Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
The Moles - We Are the Moles
Tomorrow - Revolution
The Magic Mushrooms - It's-a-Happening
The Creation - How Does It Feel to Feel
Blue Cheer - Out Of Focus
10. Turn the tables, if you'd like, and ask me a question.
Max: Do you dream in colour?
-valis: I most-assuredly do dream in colour. Quite a lot of red, with purple flashes.
Thanks Max! Have a great weekend everyone!