Monday, June 30, 2008

The Wayback Machine



Once upon a Monday weary, coffee comin', brain's all bleary,
Needing to post a Wayback Machine, I cast about for someone from yore,
An e-mail appears! A visitor to the fore!
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Morn's Plutonian shore!
Quoth the Raven, "I'm a Nevermore!"



Greetings time-trippers! We're proud to welcome a local denizen & garage-psych' Master, John Ebert of St. Louis' The Nevermores!

I caught up with John Saturday night whilst attending the GONN, ("the loudest band in town!") show. John & Co. opened for them and debuted their new single release, "Tell Tale Heart" b/w "I Lost Lenore", out on the Trouble In River City label. (Look for order details in the comments soon.) I gave him a summary of the Wayback Machine's premise and he certainly pondered. Long he stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only words there spoken was.....give me 'til Monday.

And so it is. Where's John going?

You've been given a one-time opportunity to use The Wayback Machine; what band would you like to see, in what year, and what song would you most want to see them play?

John: It's a really hard question. There's so many "trips" I'd like to take. But, even though it may sound like a pat answer, the first thing that comes to mind is......The Beatles, say Oct-Nov 1962 at one of the lunch hour Cavern Club shows. The electricity must have been palpable. "Love Me Do" had just been released, huge queues on Mathews Street, screaming teenage girls.....it had to be a sight to behold. Song - hell I don't know....Please Please Me, You Really Got A Hold On Me, Some Other Guy, Besame Mucho...so many. Now, can I get a season pass for that Time Machine thingy so I can rack up a few more "trips" ...is there a frequent flier deal or anything?





Thank you John!
(Re: that "season pass", qouth the Raven....Nevermore!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dammit, i'm gonna have that f*&king Kennelmus version of the Raven going through my head for days now!

how 'bout a mike & the ravens feature while we're at it? Rollerland is to freakbeat what the stooges are to punk!

Anonymous said...

Yee-ha! I'd much rather see the Ravens at Rollerland than some Brit wanna-bes in Hamburg!