Thursday, April 10, 2008
Greetings readers! Today's guest comes from one of the hardest-working, touring-all-the-time bands I've had the pleasure to see and meet: Nick Furgiuele of Gringo Star.
Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, and formerly known as A-Fir Ju Well, they've been riding in that van for four years! (Including a couple of times where they had to blow up several inflatables- along with empty plastic containers in netting, tied to the outer edges of said van to make the trip trans-Atlantic to the shores of the UK!) Matt the Hat had originally agreed to try the survey but saw the questions and- after waking up from the collapse, deferred to Nick.
So in keeping with their lifestyle, let's keep movin'!
1. In ten words-or less, define "psychedelic music."
Earth-shattering mind implosions, surged with dynamic colour and melody.
2. What is the most psychedelic instrument, why?
The human mind. It’s the main interpreter of life's curve.
3. Favorite psychedelic album of all time?
Arthur or the Decline of the British Empire-The Kinks
4. If you could be a member of any band in history, what band would it be
and what would you play?
Sam Cooke - guitar/low harmony
5. You can go back in time and sit in on one recording session- who's it going to be and why?
Any Arthur Alexander session, to learn from a genius.
6. What psychedelic album do you wish more people knew about?
Something Else by el Kinks.
7. What band, active today, most defines "psychedelic" to you?
Sovus Radio -Atlanta
(valis: "Long Dead Eyes"!)
8. What album would you most like to cover in its entirety, why?
Highway 61-Bob Dylan
9. Top Ten Psychedelic Songs?
1. sha la la-sovus radio
2. funny faces-the kinks
3. tomorrow never knows-les beatles
4. happiness is a warm gun-les beatles
5. paint it black- rolling stones
6. wined and dined-syd barrett
7. within you without you-les beatles
8. soldier of love-arthur alexander
9. feel flows/ good vibrations-beach boys
10. broken arrow-buffalo springfield
10. Turn the tables, if you'd like, and ask me a question.
Nick: Why did I leave off Os Mutantes?
valis: I think this should sufficiently answer that:
Thanks Nick! Readers: wherever you live Gringo Star IS COMING! (I know Tierra del Fuego and Fernando Po are high on their list of places to play!)